Come and join our creative and dynamic in-house design team at Evolution where we are designing new products with a strong focus on accurate, reliable, powerful and value for money power tools. We are a fast-growing company looking for the best in talent with vision and ambition to develop, expand your knowledge and build the Evolution brand. In this role you are responsible for developing products from concept, through design, manufacturing, and support to end of life with the end goal of delivering cost-effective product solutions, that exceed the needs of our end users.
Main duties and tasks:
- Form part of the in-house design engineering design team working on Circular saws, mitre saws, chop saws and associated power tools and accessories.
- Work alongside in-house design and external design agencies developing well thought out and appropriate engineering solutions from the ground up using Solidworks.
- Carry out cutting tests
- Conduct competitive set research
- Computer Aided Design (CAD) work
- Using Solidworks composer to create exploded diagrams and diagrams for manuals
It’s an exciting time to join us. We’re selling more power tools, in more places, to more people than ever before. We’re a £40+ million business operating in more than 27 countries, with offices in the UK, US, France and China. With a rich history and exciting future, Evolution aspires to build on our well-earned reputation and become one of the great iconic brands in the power tools market. You will play a critical role in making that vision a reality. We are proud that our Head Office is located in Sheffield, the ‘Steel City’, and is the nerve centre of our global business and home to support functions that drive and support our global growth since 1992. As a company we have a unique, patented product and exciting future strategic plans to continue our rapid growth trajectory. We are looking for innovative and ambitious colleagues to join us on this journey and have a real impact in taking Evolution Power Tools to the next level.
- You must have a passion for mechanical engineering
- Have a good grasp of mechanical principles such as motors, gears and how this works
- Knowledge of plastics and castings and knowledge of materials used in high volume products
- CAD design skills in Solidwork
- You must be able to take instructions and work on task
- To have a detailed and thorough approach to tasks
- Ability to work independently and maintain confidentiality
- Methodical approach with good attention to detail.
Personal qualities the candidate must have:
- Good team player, able to work alongside creative design and marketing personnel
- Be enthusiastic and keen to learn
- High level of initiative.
With over 20 years in the industrial power tool market Evolution has established a well earned reputation and are recognised worldwide as a market leader within the steel and fabrication industry. Evolution has traditionally specialised in steel dry cutting technology and has pioneered advanced TCT saws which cut steel. Utilising this know how and experience Evolution have developed this technology into a range of multipurpose saws which cut Wood and Aluminium as well as Steel. Based in Sheffield, England we are ideally situated to support the UK and Europe. Evolution also have offices and Distribution in the US which provides sales and support for North America and Canada. As well as our UK and US operations we also have offices in France and China as well as worldwide agents in over 30 countries.
At Evolution we are passionate about fulfilling our vision:
• "To make a difference in the lives of our people, the communities we operate in and the World we live in" This is something that we have achieved and continue to pursue through being committed to our mission.
• "Achieving sustained growth through the delivery of best in class value products for our customers, by enabling our colleagues to be the best they can be and by helping individuals and communities to lead more fulfilling lives."
During the first year you will be required to attend the University of Sheffield AMRC Training Centre in Sheffield, full time for an initial block of study. One Friday per month you will return to your workplace.
After the initial block training you will attend the AMRC Training Centre for one day a week to undertake the knowledge study. The remaining four days will be spent in company learning on the job.
Degree Apprenticeship entry requirements
A minimum of two A-Levels at grade B or above, including a mathematical based subject and a science, technology, engineering or an additional mathematics related subject; an Engineering BTEC Level 3 with 120 credits at distinction or merit level; or equivalent qualifications such as Cambridge Technicals. Plus five GCSEs at grades 4 to 6, including mathematics, English and a science, technology or engineering related subject.